Off Grid Solar Power Systems Design 101
A simple design process for stand-alone solar PV systems.
What you’ll learn
- Describe the configuration of stand–alone PV systems
- Perform load estimate calculations
- Describe PV array configuration
- Design battery banks in series and parallel configurations and calculate values for current, voltage, power and energy
- Identify the appropriate controller and inverter for stand-alone systems
- Design a complete stand-alone photovoltaic system for any particular application.
- Students don’t need prior solar PV knowledge to take this course: all the basics concepts will be explained and, we will also use examples to make sure students understand.
The goal of this course is to provide a solid understanding of the fundamental concepts necessary to design a stand-alone solar power system. Students will learn to perform application-based load analysis, how to size PV array and configure battery banks to meet energy requirements; students will also learn controllers and inverters design criteria.
The class will consist of a collection of three to five minute lecture videos and exercises. The instructor encourage and challenge students to learn from each other, and interact by helping each other and sharing ideas and best practices, in the course forum.
The course is structured in four section:
- Stand-alone solar PV basics
- Load assesment
- Stand alone PV systems design
This course is ideal for those seeking to enter the off grid solar PV industry and, for those already in the industry but seeking to strengthen their design skills.
Who this course is for:
- This course teaches the theory necessary in order to design an off grid photovoltaic (PV) system. It is the ideal course for those seeking to enter the off grid solar PV industry and, for those already in the industry but seeking to strengthen their design skills. Even if the course is particularly indicated for off grid solar PV installers, this course is not a PV systems installation course.